Title: President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Reports to: United Way of Central KY Board of Directors
COMMUNITY & ORGANIZATION OVERVIEW
United Way of Central Kentucky (UWCK) is headquartered in Elizabethtown, KY (Hardin County), which is nestled in the heartland of Kentucky near Fort Knox and a short driving distance from the Louisville Metro Area, Abraham Lincoln’s birthplace, and Mammoth Cave National Park. UWCK’s service area includes a five-county region of Hardin, Breckinridge, Grayson, LaRue, and Meade Counties. In past decade, the Elizabethtown Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), which includes Hardin, LaRue and Meade Counties, has been among the fastest growing MSAs in the country and continues to welcome thousands of new residents every year. The local community is among one of the most affordable, yet offers a great quality of life for residents, which is bolstered by great schools, top quality health care, lots of business and job opportunities, plenty to do and friendly people. Over the course of the last six years, our United Way has experienced significant growth with multiple record-breaking campaign drives reaching over $1.4M annually, more strategic Community Impact priorities, and the launch of innovative internal programs. UWCK is highly respected in our community and within the statewide United Way network as an organization that develops solutions to complex challenges. With a staff of four full-time employees and location in the vibrant downtown historical district, there is positive momentum to build upon for this agency which is so vital to our region.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The President/CEO is the leader of the organization, establishing a vision for Community Impact that is achieved through the efforts of a diverse team of high-performing leaders, staff and volunteers alike. The President/CEO is the Chief Mobilizer; s/he leverages the power of relationships and networks, and works across private, public and corporate sectors to improve conditions in the community. The President/CEO possesses a high level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating resources and financial support for the organization. The President/CEO is dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good – creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies for broad investment and impact. The President/CEO is the steward of brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation of United Way. S/he is responsible for building trust in United Way and its relevance in the community. S/he values network and strives to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
The major responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
The President/CEO is responsible for the overall impact of UWCK on the community, with particular emphasis on increasing its capacity to drive measurable change in our region. The President works closely with the Board to craft and adapt the strategy to achieve this increased impact, including raising the funds to support it. S/he will establish and build relationships with top leaders in the community, including those representing the highest levels in business, government and non-profit sectors. A knowledge of workforce development and employment services for those with barriers is preferred, as the Way to Work program is UWCK’s signature Community Impact initiative.
The President/CEO is charged to drive key results in resource development; to identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors and key leaders of prospective new corporate partners; to leverage personal and professional contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities; and to promote a culture of fundraising in the organization, both at the staff and board level.
The President/CEO serves as the principal resource to the Board of Directors and its key committees and gives strong direction in policy formulation and interpretation. S/he partners with the Board of Directors and the UWCK team to craft organizational goals and develops strategies to ensure that they are achieved. S/he ensures coordination and alignment of all United Way activities to strategic direction in the areas of community impact, resource development, and staff alignment.
The President/CEO is accountable for building and leading high-performing teams, ensuring all teams are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results. S/he maintains accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors. The President/CEO assesses organizational capacity to implement strategies and identify gaps in systems and staffing; directly supervises staff positions and establishes individual goals; works with staff and volunteers to manage organizational spending, monitor budget compliance, and mitigate financial risks; and ensures that UWCK goals of inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers are met.
- Substantial experience working in the nonprofit sector (United Way experience is desirable), and interacting with volunteers and diverse boards. Alternatively, extensive experience in the leadership and management of organizations of comparable size and mission.
- Expertise on issues relevant to the organization, such as workforce development, financial stability, and poverty.
- Proven ability to build and sustain relationships, resolve conflicts, and think strategically.
- Ability to command the confidence and respect of stakeholders.
- A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity and an ability to build collaboration with the community at large.
- Experience in or across multiple sectors, including nonprofit, public and corporate environments.
- Experience in developing partnerships and building teams.
- Experience in building revenue and increasing philanthropic support.
- Must demonstrate a high level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity and a desire to explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
S/he has unquestioned integrity; a long term perspective; a strong sense of accountability; a practical ability to get things done; wisdom and good judgment; a fair and thoughtful approach to management, combined with the flexibility and courage to shift direction and experiment with new initiatives; excellent verbal and written communication skills; a high energy level and sense of humor.
Bachelor’s degree preferred. An advanced degree or relevant professional experience is desirable.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
- Visionary: Confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a different and better future, providing purpose, direction, and motivation.
- Team-Builder: First ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fostering commitment, trust, and collaboration among multi-cultural leaders and stakeholders.
- Outward Turning: Understands the dynamics of local, regional, and national environments, and works on an agenda rooted in the community’s own perception of its needs and aspirations.
- Business Acumen: Possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization.
- Network-Oriented: Values the power of networks; striving to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
Position Close Date: Open until filled.
United Way of Central Kentucky is an equal opportunity employer. Successful candidate will be required to complete a state and federal background check prior to hiring. Reasonable accommodations may be made for qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.