What is 2-1-1?
2-1-1 is a free, confidential referral and information helpline that connects people of all ages to the essential health and human services they need, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A toll-free call to 2-1-1 connects you to a community resource specialist who can put you in touch with local organizations that provide critical services that can improve and save lives.
Find Help Here
Residents of Hardin, Breckinridge, Grayson, LaRue and Meade Counties may now dial 2-1-1 to receive free, 24-hour information about community, health and social services from a live, highly trained resource specialist. 2-1-1 is your one-stop source for resource information including basic need services, mental and physical health resources, counseling, employment assistance, and much more. Like 9-1-1 for emergency services, 2-1-1 has been set aside nationally by the Federal Communications Commission for the public to more easily access community information. 2-1-1 is also a central resource for community information regarding volunteer opportunities.
2-1-1 is for Everyone
- Families seeking services for their children, such as developmental screenings, mentoring opportunities, and after-school care
- Seniors seeking legal assistance, benefits help, and volunteer opportunities
- Human Resource professionals helping an employee find resources for transportation, childcare, or their aging parents
- Laid-off workers struggling to find employment
- Disaster victims seeking housing, food, counseling
- Teachers, clergy, and agency staff seeking help for their clients
If you would like your organization listed among those in the database, please visit the 2-1-1 Service Provider Tools page and click here to get started by providing us with your organization's information and contact info. From there, you will be contacted to receive a username and password, as well as additional information and instructions for getting started. Listing your services is 2-1-1 is voluntary and free for all agencies. Please read our Inclusion Policy and ensure appropriate approval channels at your organization are followed prior to submitting your information.
United Way's Role in Referrals
- UWCK acts as a backbone agency to connect our community with the most accurate and timely information possible for service referrals.
- UWCK is not legally structured to provide direct service and cannot give funds to individuals.
- When someone in need contacts us, we discuss their situation and suggest agencies and programs that may be able to help. If those options don’t work, we always invite them to contact us again and we’ll help brainstorm other possible approaches.
- UWCK only has funding to meet 60-75% of the grant requests received each year, which means even if an agency receives UWCK funding it does not mean they have unlimited resources available to help all clients. Agencies determine where they can make the greatest impact with our funds based on their individual policies and guidelines.
Reports & Data
While calls to 2-1-1 are confidential, we are able to gather non-identifying data about community needs and requested services. The public is welcome to access this information as we work to better coordinate services and fill gaps in programs.
Thank You to Our 2-1-1 Sponsors:
*United Way is a convener of resources but does not provide direct service to individuals. A referral through 2-1-1 is not a guarantee of service, which may be provided by agencies per their guidelines and policies. Inclusion of an organization in the 2-1-1 system is not an endorsement of any agency by United Way.